A Hope Chest Worth the Trouble6:00:00 AM
Sometimes it is all about the challenge...
that's how it was with this hope chest I bought for $15.00...
What the heck...
the price was right and it seemed to be
worth the effort... The inside of this hope chest is lined
with cedar... perfect cedar... not a ding or mark on it.
So as you can see I hauled it home in the back of my Jeep.
The piece had some beautiful detail...
But a few problems too...
the trim was missing from one side of the bottom...
luckily I found it inside and re-attached
it with wood glue and nails.
The rail was loose but nothing that some more wood glue,
finishing nails and a bungie wouldn't fix.
There was one other small problem...
Apparently this chest had legs at one point. A problem easily fixed with a set of castors.
And then came the fun part... the paint.
The first thing I did was to coat the whole top with a very
thick paste-like crackle and texture medium from Martha Stewart.
I waited for the thick paste to dry, I watched it crackle and crumble, then painted it with a coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in
When the Chalk Paint dried I used a wash over the whole piece
of French Linen. Using a dry brush and a spray bottle of water, I brushed, sprayed, then wiped off the excess.
I was left with a beautifully textured, crackled top. The
French Linen wash went into all the cracks and crevices
leaving the piece with an old worn look.
I was careful to use more French Linen wash in the corners and in places that would naturally look dirty and old.
A coat of clear wax and this hope chest is gorgeous!
I took a $15.00 chance
and it paid off... the piece looks great!
This hope chest sold quickly and I hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I enjoyed panting it.
Vintage Inspiration Party at Knick of Time