The Monster Hutch is Finished!5:00:00 AM
This hutch started out life with an interesting story...
You probably saw where this hutch began life...
Once this monster hutch was in it's new home
(the middle of my dining room)
I decided to sand the top....
I was actually thinking it was a good idea to do that
inside, right where it was... After all my
sander had a bag to catch the dust.... NOT!
Luckily my husband who might just be the
brains of this operation insisted I bring it outside to sand.
So I listened (which I usually don't do)...
I sanded down the scratched top then gave it
two coats of Minwax stain in Chestnut.
Once the base was back in the dining room I began painting.
I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Country Grey.
Painting inside can actually be done with ASCP because
there are no VOC's and if you get any drips on the hardwood floor,
it wipes right up.... Miracle stuff!
I started with the drawers....
Before too long I was on to the hutch... I did not
paint inside the drawers or inside the cabinet because the original
stained wood was gorgeous...
I painted heavy in some places and lighter in others... this
picture shows the first coat. I wanted the piece to have a
heavily distressed look when it was all finished.
I can honestly say that this piece was just what
I was looking for.
I needed something large but narrow... Perfect!
When I was finished painting I distressed all the edges
and changed out the hardware.
The paint on the top and the bottom is the same but due to
the overhead lighting it may look a
little lighter on top in the photos.
I gave the entire piece a coat of Miss Mustard Seed
Tough Coat. I must warn you,
this was an experiment, I usually wax.
I don't know if it was the Tough Coat on top of the chalk paint
or if it was from the wood... but I got a
slight yellowing in places.
I am totally OK with the yellowing, it wasn't much and
it only added to the already distressed look.
I do love the Tough Coat... it really does the job well!
Loving the new look of this hutch and can't wait to
start my next paint project!
This one I'm keeping!